The project ‘Market-based approaches to improving the safety of pork in Vietnam’ (SafePORK) seeks to recruit a full-time PhD candidate, 4 years, starting from July 2018.
SafePORK aims to reduce the burden of food-borne disease in informal, emerging and niche markets. SafePORK will develop and evaluate light-touch market-based approaches to improving food safety, while safeguarding livelihoods in the pork sector. This project is coordinated by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) in collaboration with Hanoi Universuty of Public Health (HUPH), Vietnam National University of Agriculture (VNUA), and National Institute of Animal Science (NIAS) and private sectors. The team uses an inter-disciplinary approach and brings together expertise in smallholder pig systems, risk analysis, socio-economics, value chain assessment, veterinary epidemiology and public health. SafePORK is funded by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR).
The PhD candidate will take part in project activities with a main focus on the following objectives:
- to generate actionable evidence on the efficacy, feasibility and reach of current approaches for improving pork safety in Vietnam;
- to develop, pilot and test light-touch, incentive-based approaches to food safety, in close partnership with the private sector;
- to build capacity in understanding food safety risk, its management and effective communication among stakeholders including key government partners, the private sector, academia, donors and media.
The field work will be in the project sites of Hanoi, Hoa Binh, Bac Ninh, Hung Yen and Nghe An provinces. The work will be done in close collaboration with experts in food safety from ILRI and different actors of the pork value chain; pig producers, slaughter house, traders, consumers, private sectors, and policy and decision makers.
- Master’s degree in public health, biology, veterinary medicine or veterinary public health, or food sciences;
- Good English writing and verbal communication skills, computer experience including word-processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint and data analyses;
- Publication (conference or paper) and field work experience is preferred;
- Ability to work independently and accurately in the work;
- Team player and willing to work under pressure;
- Only Vietnamese candidates are eligible;
Work place and compensation
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Work at Centre for Public Health and Ecosystem Research (CENPHER), HUPH, 1A Duc Thang road, Duc Thang ward, North Tu Liem, Hanoi, Vietnam and regular visits to ILRI Hanoi office.
How to apply
Appication package includes:
- A curriculum vitae with a recent 4×6 cm photo
- A letter of motivation
- Copies of relevant degrees or certificates
- Names and contact of two references
Applicants are invited to send application package to the following address:
Pham Duc Phuc,
Center for Public Health and Ecosystem Research – Hanoi University of Public Health
1A Duc Thang, Duc Thang ward, North Tu Liem, Hanoi, Vietnam.
T: (+84) 24.62733162, F: (+84) 24.62733172, Mobile:(+84) 904 049969
Any questions about the application, contact Dang Xuan Sinh, mobile number +84 969813048, email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only short listed candidates will be invited for interview.